Christina Peng
December 3, 2019

How to retain customers in Click Frenzy's aftermath

Don't let your Click Frenzy become Churn Frenzy. Here are the best ways to protect your customer retention after a flash sale.
Continue Reading
All Posts

How to get an illegal website taken down in 3 easy steps

Imitation is the sincerest from of flattery (or is it a phishing scam?)

Are scammers targeting your customers?

Online criminals continue to push the boundaries to find new ways to profit from illegal activities online. In the past, businesses we spoke with were primarily concerned with data security and ensuring their consumers data was safe from 'hacking'. Many tools have been implemented to prevent hacking and data theft online. SSL certificates, data encryption, 2-factor authentication and credit card verification methods to name a few. But, is it working?

via GIPHY

Phishing, a growing global problem

We've seen a growing trend in eCommerce businesses being targeted by fake websites that replicate popular brands trying to fool customers into believing are authentic sites.

Depending on the popularity of the site, hundreds if not thousands of innocent customers may accidentally handover their passwords and account details, or worse... their credit card information. Remember that a lot of people still use one password for many online accounts, that is what the illegal operators of these scam websites are hoping for. Often, the customer doesn't even know they have been scammed. For our clients, they often learn of these imitation sites through customer service feedback. Even though the brand technically hasn't done anything wrong, the customer still feels betrayed by the brand they trusted (even if the website was an illegal clone).

Be proactive

If you are a retailer and are starting to gain some popularity with your brand, it pays to regularly check for these illegal phishing sites. If you find one, here's our process for having them removed which works 99% of the time (the other 1% of times you can reach out to us at hello@alphawhale.com.au)

 

1) Find out where the domain is registered

Do a domain lookup otherwise known as a 'whois' search. We like using Godaddy's free tool which can be found here:

https://au.godaddy.com/whois

These whois searches will usually provide the DNS registry that is hosting the site. Find out who the host is and make a report to them about 'illegal phishing'.

 

2) Make the phishing report

Go to the DNS registry website, as an example namesilo.com or godaddy.com that was discovered in step 1. 

Because this issue is more common than you'd think, most of these sites have a form for you to submit your report. As an example for namesilo.com you can find their report form here:

https://new.namesilo.com/phishing_report

In the report they will often ask for evidence of phishing. The best way to do this is to print screen or print to PDF the offending site, especially any page asking for user/password and credit card details. Often you'll also have to provide the genuine site details too.

via GIPHY

3) The waiting game

Once you've submitted your report you typically need to wait 24 hours for a response. If the DNS registrar agrees that something 'phishy' is going on they will take action to close the site down. This can take an additional 24 hours. If they don't agree to your claim you'll have to build out a more solid report and try again. Remember the longer you wait, the more your customers are at risk of being scammed.

 

Hopefully this post can help you solve or avoid a problem. That's kind of what we are known for at alphawhale. If you hate problems or love solutions, get in touch with our team for a chat about your business.

Ask Us Anything

 

 

Nick Montagu
Nick Montagu
Nick is the Founder/CEO at alphawhale. He loves to dream big ideas and then break them down into *almost* impossible plans. Eats analytics for breakfast.

More from the Pod

How to retain customers in Click Frenzy's aftermath

  Since the launch of Click Frenzy, the 24-hour mega sale has grown to become one of Australia's most pop...
Continue Reading

29 digital marketing buzzwords you should know for 2020

  It's time to ditch the jargon. Every month, it feels like Google, Facebook or LinkedIn have changed som...
Continue Reading

How UTM trackers can benefit your next digital campaign

  What is a UTM?  UTM stands for Urchin Tracking Module, and is a string of simple, customisable code tha...
Continue Reading